Job Title: Art Director
Location: Portland, Oregon
Job Purpose: The Art Director is responsible for creating and maintaining a cohesive look and feel for the Bitch Media brand, which includes the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, as well as a growing series of multimedia projects and programs. The ideal candidate is an innovative designer with an interest in pop culture and the desire to work with a nonprofit multimedia organization that values good design and a sense of wit. The Art Director reports to Bitch Media’s Executive Director.
- Design and lay out each issue of Bitch magazine and guide it through the prepress process.
- Design and lay out all development materials (fundraising appeals, event posters, annual reports, interoffice forms, etc.)
- Collaborate closely with editorial/creative director in the development of art concepts for each issue of the magazine.
- Acquire all art for magazine from freelance illustrators and photographers, and work with photographers on creating and executing magazine covers.
- Design all advertising and sponsorship materials
- Design all graphics for merchandise
- Oversee the overall look and feel of the Bitch media website
- Archive all digital graphic files
- Oversee design interns and volunteers
- Attend weekly staff meeting (Tuesdays) and content meeting (Wednesdays)
Minimum Qualifications: The Art Director should have at least a BA in graphic design or similar field (art, architecture, etc...), or the equivalent experience. Candidates will also have excellent verbal communication and collaboration skills, and a strong eye for/attention to detail. Experience with multiple-page document design, prepress, and two- and four-color printing is critical.
Design Skills: Candidates for the position will have demonstrated skill in typography, magazine layout, two-color design, illustration and cover concepting, basic photography, and an understanding of editorial/design relationship.
Software: Candidates should be fluent in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop (Mac platform). Bonus points for being skilled in (or at least on familiar terms with) HTML, CSS, and Drupal.
General Skills: We’re looking for someone who’s very organized, highly motivated, able to see the big picture of a unified graphic identity, good at managing others, and able to work and communicate well with editors as well as other employees who will be ‘commissioning’ design work for the organization.
Preferred, but not required: A connection to feminism and a love of pop culture help immensely. (These are obviously broad concepts and can mean different things to different people, but a general interest in and concern about women in pop culture and society in general makes for a person who will care about the organization and its programs and content all the more.) And a sense of humor and good writing skills are both highly prized.
Schedule: Part-time. 20-30 hours/week, plus quarterly full-time production hours (right before release of issue to the printer).
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least five samples of work, in hard copy, to:
Attn: Executive Director
4930 NE 29th Avenue
Portland, OR 97211
Application packets must be postmarked by February 1, 2010.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronically submitted applications will not be reviewed.
**NO E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS OR DROP-INS PLEASE**